Why You Need GoogleMyBusiness
Google My Business is a free tool that allows you to promote your business’s contact information, images, location, and other information for free in Google’s search engine. With your Google My Business account, you can see and connect with your customers, post updates to your Business Profile, and see how customers are interacting with your business on Google.
Don’t think that you can skip out on creating your GoogleMyBusiness profile. Without a Google My Business account, you don't have control over the information displayed in your Google Business Profile, and according to a BrightLocal study, 68% of consumers would stop using a local business after finding incorrect information online. That’s over 2/3 of potential customers you will LOSE. Here are a few of the benefits to getting your business on GoogleMyBusiness
GoogleMyBusiness reviews show your customers that you are reputable and trustworthy. You’ll also receive notifications when there is a new comment or review of your business. This alert system helps you be aware of each of the opinions written by each client who has received your products & services, in order to be able to respond to each of them in record time.
As stated earlier, when you create your GoogleMyBusiness, you’ll have complete control over all your displayed business information. Info such as hours, website, contact info, location, offers, products and services, and much more. All done in real-time.
Having a GoogleMyBusiness will set you apart from your competitors by giving your business credibility as a legitimate business. This is one of the biggest deciding factors for customers choosing whether to work with you or your competitors. Google’s verification system allows you to take ownership of your location also, so there will be no misunderstandings as to your location.
Saving You Time + Customer Service
There are many businesses that just get calls from prospects of existing customers asking simple but time-consuming questions about location and hours of operation. If you happen to miss the call, the customer is unhappy. Calls can also distract your staff from focusing on more important tasks. GoogleMyBusiness can reduce this waste and increase productivity. At the same time, those customers are finding this information without having to call, which is an all-around better experience for them!
The completeness of your Google Business Profile not only helps Google to rank you higher in local search results but also increases the number of actions customers take when they find your profile. There is a lot of information to provide but you need to make sure that the progress circle is at 100% completion!
How to fully set up GoogleMyBusiness
Now that we know why you need to fully set up your GoogleMyBusiness, I want to go over exactly how to set up your GoogleMyBusiness profile. Step-by-step instructions.
Creating your GoogleMyBusiness
- Go to www.google.com/business and sign in. You can either use a pre-existing Google account or create a new one. Make sure to sign up with your business email domain. If you don’t, you can always change this later although it is easier to do so now.
- Add your business by entering your business’s name. If it doesn’t appear in the drop-down menu, click Add your business to Google. Once you do this, select the appropriate category for your business. If you don’t know what category to choose, check your competitor’s GoogleMyBusiness profiles and use their category.
- If your business has a physical location, click yes, then add your address. You may also be asked to position a marker for your location on a map. If your business doesn’t have a location but offers services or delivery, list your service area.
- Fill out your business’s phone number and website address so your customers can reach you. If you want to use a Facebook page instead of a website that’s okay, but a website would be better
- Finish and manage your listing next. Check any of the following boxes and click finish. Congratulations, you just created your GoogleMyBusiness profile!
Verifying your GoogleMyBusiness
- Sign into GoogleMyBusiness
- Click Verify Now on your business
- Choose a way to verify your business. Usually, you can only do Postcard by Mail, but you may be eligible for other methods such as phone or email. Just choose the one you prefer. Fill in the required information, double-check to make sure it’s correct, then submit the form. If you are verifying by postcard, it can take up to 5 days to receive it with the verification code.
- Once you receive the code, sign back into your account, click Verify, then enter the five-digit code from your postcard. Congratulations, you just verified your GoogleMyBusiness profile!
Claiming an existing GoogleMyBusiness profile
- OPTION 1: Sign up or log into GoogleMyBusiness, search for your business, and select it. Follow the instructions to confirm that you are the owner.
- OPTION 2: Locate your business listing in GoogleMaps and click Manage this listing.
- OPTION 3: Look up your business listing in Google Search and click ”Own this business?”. Follow the instructions to confirm that you are the owner.
Getting to 100% completion for GoogleMyBusiness
- You need to fill out your whole profile, give Google as much information about your business as you can. This will help Google match your business to customer searches which even improves your search rankings. Make sure to fill out your business’s contact information, business category, attributes, and anything else you can fill out! Keep the information relevant to your business and location.
- Upload media in your profile. You should have your logo, cover image, an image of your business while working, a team picture, & a video of your business.
- Get reviews for your business if you haven’t already done so. This will bump up the percentage of your GoogleMyBusiness profile significantly. Also, make sure to reply to every single review of your business. Good or bad, if you don’t, Google may remove your rights to comment on reviews altogether. You may not be able to get reviews until you verify your business. If this feature is not available, that’s why.
- Post news, updates, and special offers next.
- Add your business’s attributes in the info tab. Make sure these attributes are relevant to your business.
- Keep up with GoogleMyBusiness. Think of this as another platform for your business just like a Facebook page. This should always be kept up to date because whenever your business is searched for on Google, your visitors will see this first. Before your Facebook page, website, social media, before anything.
Having a GoogleMyBusiness profile setup 100% for your business is crucial for growing your business and generating more revenue. If you neglect this, your business will lose money. If you follow through and set up your GoogleMyBusiness 100%, your business will have:
- Strong Credibility & legitimacy
- Much higher search engine optimization
- Another asset for your customers to learn about your business
- Organic traffic through SEO
- Save your business time, money, efficiency and improve customer service
- Opens up the potential for future digital marketing strategies with GoogleAds
Get started on this ASAP. You now have all the steps to getting your GoogleMyBusiness account set up. While we don't do this for our clients, we can create you a website that will convert your visitors into loyal paying customers. Go to pickasite.com/get-started for a consultation